In the case of a wrongful death due to the negligence of someone else, it is impossible to fully compensate you for your loss. If you have suffered the loss of a family member due to somebody else's actions, nothing can put your life back to what it was before.
The Family Law Act of Ontario provides that close family members of people killed in car accidents or through the wrongful actions of others may be able to get some compensation for their losses. Close family members include children, grandchildren, parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters of the deceased.
The two kinds of damages available are "general" damages, also called nonpecuniary damages, which have to do with emotional, nonmonetary losses, and "special" or pecuniary damages, which include things like funeral expenses or loss of income during your loved one's time in the hospital.
Our wrongful death lawyers can help you claim compensation for many expenses and losses, including:
- Loss of income if the deceased was working and providing for other family members
- Loss of housekeeping and home assistance, especially if the deceased was the primary caretaker at home or primary caregiver for the children
- Bereavement benefits, which can include loss of guidance, care and companionship of the deceased
- Funeral expenses, which may cover the funeral, gravestone and other expenses
- Survivors' benefits from your insurance policy
- Expenses from caring for the deceased before his or her death, including out-of-pocket expenses incurred for travelling, nursing or housekeeping, medicine and rehabilitation devices
Contact Rochon Genova LLP
Let us help you through this difficult time. Call Rochon Genova at 416-548-9874 or send us an email to set up a free consultation. We serve clients in the Greater Toronto Area and throughout Ontario.