Most people don’t think twice about their contact solution. They just use it briefly at the end of the day to wash the contacts and store them away, then they’re done with it until the morning. It’s a very small part of their day.
However, it could have a huge impact on a person’s life, perhaps leading to irreversible damage and vision loss. It could even lead to blindness or cause the person to need a cornea replacement.
That’s what happened to some users of AMO® Complete® All-In-One Moisture Plus. People who used it were found to be an incredible 17 times as likely to end up with Acanthamoeba Keratitis — or “AK” — which is an eye infection that can lead to all of the symptoms listed above.
As a result of the infections, stores dropped the solution back in 2007. For many people, though, the damage was already done. A lawsuit was started against Advanced Medical Optics, Inc., and AMO Canada Company, trying to recover financial compensation for the injuries that people had suffered using a product they assumed was as safe as any other.
The life changes that the infection forced upon people can’t be overstated. One person said that she had to leave her university classes, something that was incredibly important to her future at 21 years old. She also ended up going blind. When the pain became too much, she had her eye removed.
This is clearly not a minor infection. It can change the course of a person’s life. If you’ve been harmed by a consumer product in this fashion, knowing your rights to compensation is very important. As the case above shows, there are things that can be done and the courts have upheld these cases to protect consumers.
Source: Rochon Genova, “AMO (Contact Lens Solution),” accessed Sep. 08, 2016