Current Aviation Cases
Private Plane Crashes
Lawyers for Aviation Accidents
Aviation is a complex field in which many professions, manufacturers and businesses combine to move passengers and cargo around the world. Rigorous safety standards and complex laws and regulations govern practices within the industry. When something goes wrong, the potential for disaster is high.
We step in when things go wrong within the industry, either through breakdowns in safety that cause personal injury, loss of life and tragedy or through mismanagement or dishonest business practices that cause economic losses to consumers of airline services.
We are counsel for a number of families throughout Canada and the US whose family members have perished in small, private aircraft crashes and mishaps as well as victims who have been seriously or fatally injured in other large commercial aircrafts.
We have also developed strong relationships with US law firms who specialize in aviation law whom we work with to achieve the highest possible damages for our clients. We serve clients throughout the Greater Toronto Area, Ontario and across Canada and the US.
After any mass disaster or accident, families and victims need to know why the accident happened and who is responsible. We strive to help victims heal and hold those responsible accountable for their actions.
Cases where our lawyers have acted include:
- Continental Connection Flight 3407, Buffalo, New York (2009)
- Comair Flight 5191, Lexington, Kentucky (2006)
- Air France Flight 358, Toronto, Ontario (2005) – runway over-run
- Skyservice Flight 5G560, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (2005)
- Air Transat Flight TS 236, Lisbon, Portugal (2001) – fuel starvation emergency landing
- Air Nova Flight 889, Charlottetown PEI (1995) – landing gear collapse on landing — acted for landing gear manufacturer Messier-Dowty
- Air Ontario Flight 1363, Dryden Ontario (1989) – take-off crash – counsel to Federal Commission of Inquiry
- Pan American B-747, Flight 103, Lockerbie, Scotland (1988) – terrorist bombing in-flight — acted for Canadian family
- Air Canada Flight 189, Toronto Ontario (1978) – runway overrun – acted for aircraft manufacturer McDonnell Douglas Corporation
In addition, prior to joining Rochon Genova, one of our lawyers has acted for aviation insurers in London, New York and Toronto for more than 15 years in the defense of aviation related claims against many international air carriers including Canada 3000, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Northwest Airlines, Philippine Airlines. He has also defended other aviation interests including the Greater Toronto Airports Authority, numerous local airports across Canada, and manufacturers McDonnell Douglas Corporation and Bell Helicopter Textron.
General Aviation Accidents
We have acted on many cases over the years involving serious injury and death arising out of general aviation accidents (i.e. those involving light aircraft).
Our purpose is not just to represent clients, but also to hold the industry to higher standards in which passenger safety and security are top priorities.
In this regard, one of our lawyers acted as Counsel and Director of Research for the Commission of Inquiry into the Air Ontario Crash at Dryden Ontario, Final Report (1992) (Commissioner, the Honourable Virgil P. Moshansky). This Judicial Inquiry formed by the Government of Canada as an independent investigation into the contributing factors and causes of the March 10, 1989 Air Ontario crash of a Fokker F-28 in which 24 individuals perished. This was a two and one half year engagement involving more than 160 hearing days, and multi-volume report to Parliament which served as catalyst to substantial improvements in aviation safety in Canada and internationally.
Aviation: A Unique Industry Requiring Specialized Expertise
Rochon Genova’s aviation lawyers have the technical and legal knowledge and experience to work with industry experts to determine the causes of aviation accidents, delays and malfunctions and to obtain fair compensation for victims and their families.
We have acted on aviation class actions and represented numerous individual clients against airlines.
Our cases involve not only crashes but also incidents in which clients experience unfair delays, hard landings, excessive charges or other consumer-related issues.
We have an in-depth understanding of the realities of aviation, including:
- The interaction between industry, commercial, technical and government agencies and groups
- The collection of federal, international and industry laws, safety standards and regulations that make up aviation law
- The realities of everyday practice within the industry, which includes airlines, air traffic control, and companies involved in aircraft design and manufacturing as well as aircraft maintenance
- The physical and technical processes involved in accidents, including mechanical failures, pilot error and air traffic control
Our lawyers have been recognized by their peers as among leading lawyers in the fields of both class actions law and aviation litigation.
Contact ROCHON | GENOVA LLP
If you or your family has been affected by an airline crash, hard landing or significant aviation-related consumer issue, call Rochon Genova at 416-548-9874 or send us an email to set up a free consultation. We serve clients throughout the Greater Toronto Area, Ontario and across Canada and the US.