Toronto Sexual Abuse and Sexual Assault Lawyers
- “I had a great experience with ROCHON GENOVA. They handled my issue with great sincerity and urgency. Michael Wilchesky represented me from beginning to end, allowing me to open up to him which made a difficult matter to deal with manageable. I highly recommend Michael and ROCHON GENOVA for their honesty, integrity and true sincerity. They helped me in many ways to deal with the issues that I have.” – A.F.
- “I feel so lucky to have had you as my lawyer. I’m so grateful for your expertise and kindness throughout this process. You made things so much easier for me. I don’t think I would have had a successful outcome without you. Thank you for all your hard work, and everything you’ve done for me. It is greatly appreciated. I would not hesitate to recommend you to anyone.” – C.N.
- “Although I could not start my action right away, Michael provided free legal advice and helped to explain my options so that I was well prepared to commence my action as soon as I could. Throughout the process, Michael was a pleasure to work with, and I felt like my best interest was always his top priority. He made himself available at almost all hours, even answering emails after 10pm on weekdays, and on weekends. He is an easy person to talk to, and always made time for my questions. I am truly grateful for his work, and would recommend him, and his firm to anyone looking for a meaningful resolution to a civil sexual assault litigation.” – A.R.
- “I am very pleased to provide a recommendation for Mr. Michael Wilchesky of Rochon Genova Law Firm. I retained Rochon Genova regarding a childhood sexual assault civil suit. Mr. Wilchesky worked closely with me for several years. I found him to be very easy to talk to, professional and compassionate. He paid close attention to detail and explained processes and procedures when things were unclear. I offer my highest recommendation!” – L.W.
- “Michael and his team had me at ease from the moment I first entered the office. All my anxiety and fears were addressed and a plan of action was then put on the table for me. The team took initiative immediately and professionally. The door and phone lines were always open for me when questions or fears came into the equation and I was never left alone waiting for a response. The process was long and difficult and sometimes I questioned my ability to carry on through to the end. Michael and his team were there to listen to my concerns and validate my feelings. I was supported and encouraged to do what was best for me. In the end, we were victorious and I was very pleased with the outcome. I would highly recommend Michael and his team’s law services for all litigation needs.” – J.S.
- “During the most difficult time in my life, the best decision I could have made was to contact Rochon Genova. Michael Wilchesky helped guide me through the entire process, step by step with patience and compassion. Michael listened and understood what I was trying to achieve with a civil suit, and provided the closure I was desperately seeking. Michael and the staff at Rochon Genova were collectively a pleasure to interact with and made a very stressful time seem manageable. They have given me my life back and I can’t thank them enough!” – S.M.
- “It is my privilege to recommend Michael Wilchesky, an excellent lawyer, who spent the time to ensure our case proceeded in the right direction. He was very caring and we were kept informed every step of the way. Thanks to his attention to detail and terrific work ethic we achieved a great result.” – M.C.
- “Michael Wilchesky represented me in a difficult matter. He was easy to talk to and very understanding. Michael is a professional in his field and will work for YOU to get YOU the money you deserve. He did for me. He answered all my emails and calls promptly. He answered every question I had no matter how silly or minor I thought it was or how many times I had already asked it. He was there for me every time, never left me wondering about anything, and explained everything very clearly in a way I could understand. Michael is a good lawyer and a good man, someone you want on your side.” – T.M.
- “I want to thank you for all of your help and support throughout my legal battle. I felt both pride and comfort having you defend me. Before finding you, I had sought legal advice from other lawyers. Many of them told me that I didn’t have a case and that I certainly didn’t have a case worth pursuing. That being said, knowing that you believed in me and my case from the beginning has provided me with a greater sense of confidence. I can say with certainty that it has helped me in my healing process. Thank you for all that you do. I am truly very grateful.” – Z.G.
Michael Wilchesky – Counsel, Practice Group Leader, Phone: 416.363.1867 Ext 2250, Email: [email protected]
Jennifer Lord – Legal Assistant, Phone: 416.363.1867 Ext. 2480, Email: [email protected]
PRACTICE AREA HIGHLIGHTS:
ROCHON | GENOVA LLP features an experienced team in the area of civil sexual assault, institutional abuse, and multi-victim lawsuits. We assist victims of sexual and physical assault, mental cruelty, and institutional abuse in advancing their claims before the courts, tribunals and alternative dispute resolution processes.
The firm’s civil sexual assault practice is led by Michael Wilchesky, an experienced litigator, who has worked in a broad range of practice areas, including civil sexual assault litigation and Indigenous rights (for the past 10 years), securities litigation, commercial law, bankruptcy law, real estate litigation and estates litigation. In those capacities, he has had the privilege of representing clients at motions, trials and appeals at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Divisional Court, the Ontario Court of Appeal, Federal Court, and Small Claims Court.
Michael’s practice focuses on obtaining meaningful compensation for survivors of sexual abuse and sexualized misconduct, often in complex institutional cases. He has acted in hundreds of civil sexual abuse, sexual assault and sexual misconduct cases, on behalf of survivors, and is intimately familiar with the complex and continuously evolving issues in this practice area. Michael recently held an informational session to help inform survivors of their options and discuss some of the important issues that arise in sexual assault/abuse proceedings.
There are many different approaches available in these types of cases. Michael works with his clients to determine the best approach, and then uses his knowledge, experience and expertise to construct the strongest possible case and guide the case in the right direction. Individual client circumstances and goals are always at the forefront of Michael’s practice. He listens intently to what clients wish to achieve in order to inform the next steps to take in each individual case.
In addition to traditional civil court proceedings, Michael has represented clients in their Criminal Injuries Compensation Board Applications, as well as survivors of abuse perpetrated at Indian Residential Schools, through the Independent Assessment Process (“IAP”). Michael currently volunteers with the Independent Legal Advice Pilot Program for Survivors of Sexual Assault, providing legal advice to survivors of sexual assault to help them make informed decisions about their next steps.
Knowledge about the options available for survivors of sexual assault, including historical sexual abuse, varies greatly from one client to the next. Many clients call just to find out what their options are, whereas others call once they have made a decision to commence a civil lawsuit. Michael aims to provide clients with all available options at their disposal and an explanation as to what each option entails and the differences between the various approaches. He also discusses the pros and cons of each approach and what clients can expect with each option. And, of course, Michael welcomes questions from clients. This way, clients can make informed decisions about how they want to proceed and can feel comfortable and confident in their decisions and their representation. Most recently, Michael launched a blog (https://whystartacivilaction.blogspot.com/) to help inform people about some of the important issues that arise in sexual assault/abuse proceedings.
Some common questions asked by sexual assault survivors include:
- What is the difference between a criminal proceeding and a civil action, and can you help me with one or both of these options?
- Can I start a civil action if criminal charges have already been laid against the perpetrator of the sexual assault?
- What can I achieve through a civil action for sexual assault and how is that different from what can be achieved through a criminal trial against the perpetrator?
- How long do I have to start a civil action against the perpetrator of a sexual assault?
- If I have been sexually assaulted, are there any options available to me other than a civil action or criminal proceedings?
- How long does it take for a civil action to conclude (from start to finish)?
- Can I obtain monetary compensation from the perpetrator if I have been sexually assaulted/abused? If so, what range of compensation can I expect to receive?
- Can I sue my company/school/doctor’s office/religious institution, etc. for the sexual assault perpetrated against me or my loved one?
- What will I have to do, and how much time will be involved, if I choose to start a civil action?
Contact ROCHON | GENOVA LLP
Call Rochon Genova at 416-548-9874 or send us an email to set up a free consultation. We can help survivors of sexual abuse and sexual cruelty throughout the Greater Toronto Area, Ontario, and across Canada.