Pedestrian And Bicycle Accidents In Toronto
Bicycles and pedestrians share a number of hazards on the road. Because both are unprotected by the metal frame of a vehicle and vulnerable to impact from vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians can be severely injured in a crash. Common consequences include:
- Concussions and head injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Broken bones
- Sprained joints and ligaments
- Severe psychological effects such as depression and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Wrongful death
Being hit by a car can result in serious medical and rehabilitation expenses, as well as lost wages. You may also need nursing and personal care, and there may be other long-term expenses if your injuries cause disability.
Helping Bicyclists And Pedestrians
Vehicles hit pedestrians and cyclists for a number of reasons, including:
- Driver inattention or distraction, including texting while driving
- Drunk driving
- Driving through parking lots or crosswalks without paying attention
- Driving through bike lanes
- “Dooring,” where a vehicle door is opened into the path of a cyclist
- Poor weather conditions
- Speeding in residential areas
- Cyclist and pedestrian error such as intoxication, jaywalking and weaving through traffic while biking
Even if you are partially or fully at fault, you can still claim accident benefits and may be able to claim damages against the driver who hit you if the accident was partly his or her fault.
If you are a victim of a hit-and-run driver or have no insurance of your own, talk to our pedestrian and bicycle accident lawyers. We can explore all potential avenues for compensation.